Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Performance Management for HR Practitioners
Monday, January 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM - Friday, April 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM (EST)
It often seems like some people are born with a natural ability to manage others.
For the majority of us, however, it takes education and practice to learn and hone the skill sets of an effective supervisor.
This course -- "Performance Management for HR Practitioners" -- is designed to provide the performance management skills and knowledge needed to be an effective HR Practitioner.
The audience for this course are human resources practitioners, who are responsible for the successful management of employees in the Federal Government
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the phases and requirements of the performance management process
- Identify the controlling authorities
- Describe the functions, core responsibilities, and soft skills required of the HR Practitioner related to performance management
- Identify practices that encourage more regular and meaningful communication with supervisors/managers
- Explain the importance of each phase in relation to the overall performance management process
- Differentiate the supervisor/manager responsibilities versus the practitioner’s role in each phase
- Identify appropriate performance-based actions a practitioner can advise a supervisor/manager to take
- Identify relevant authorities for the use of performance management
- Demonstrate the ability to apply course content in a simulation of a year-long performance review cycle
- Understand the benefit of using sound performance management techniques
Previously offered as a classroom-based course, the U.S. Office of Personnel Management has teamed up with GovLoop, the leading knowledge network for government, to offer this course as a web-based, social learning experience that will occur over six weeks. The core components of the course will include:
- 60-minute webinars once per week
- 2 required readings (blogs posts from GovLoop, Harvard Business Review, etc.)
- 1 discussion forum each week with a common challenge or scenario faced by HR practitioners or supervisors
- Weekly reflection in which two participants are paired in order to exchange 1-2 learning points from the week
The course will be highly interactive and allow participants to engage with several experts in performance management as well as their peers. Here is a glance at what's to come:
Week 1: Overview of Performance Management & the Role of HR
Week 2: Communication, Coaching, and Feedback, Part 1
Week 3: Communication, Coaching and Feedback, Part 2
Week 4: The Performance Management Process, Part 1
Week 5: The Performance Management Process, Part 2
Week 6: The Performance Management Process, Part 3
OPM & GovLoop
The U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) leads Federal agencies in shaping human resources management systems; protects national values embodied in law; serves employing agencies, Federal employees, retirees, their families, and the public; and safeguards the assets held in trust for participants in earned benefit programs.
GovLoop is the "Knowledge Network for Government" - the premier online community connecting over 60,000 public sector professionals. It’s an essential resource to connect with peers, share best practices, and find career-building opportunities.